Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

As far out there as I am willing to go sometimes, there are a few things that are so deeply and ritualistically traditional that the thought of changing them seems sacriligious. So today, as I was injecting the turkey with an amazing Thai marinade; a (rather large) part of me was saying "No! No! No! Stop that!" However, I have three other turkeys in the freezer so if this experiment fails, in the next month or two I can make up for it with simple salt and pepper and a bit of oyster dressing.

Thai Injectable Marinade

2 Tablespoons Red Pepper Flakes
2 inch piece of fresh ginger roughly chopped
1 head of garlic peeled
the juice and zest of 3 limes
1/4 sugar
2 Tablespoons molasses
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup fish sauce (don't be a wuss)
2 Tablespoons Bragg's Liquid Amino or soy sauce
1 Cup water

Blend everything together in the blender. If using as an injectable you might want to run this through a strainer.

I'll be putting the turkey in the oven in about 15 minutes. We're having coconut rice and a mix of broccoli and peppers as a side dish. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: